We all know we should be drinking at least 2-3L of water a day – even more in summer and when partaking in physical activity. However many of us fail to consume close to this amount!
Adequate water consumption will help you stay healthy and energized. It also:
– Reduces bloating
– Controls body temperature
– Aids digestion
– Carriers nutrients around the body
– Cushions organs and joints
– Gets rid of waste
– Keeps your bowels regular
– Provides skin benefits
– Helps with appetite and weight management
Water is lost through sweating, breathing and getting rid of waste. If you lose a greater amount of fluid than you take in, dehydration can occur. Dehydration can begin before you are aware of it, so it is important to consume adequate water before you start to feel thirsty.
How to consume more water?
– Start the day with a big glass of water to re hydrate after your night’s sleep
– Carry a water bottle with you and aim to get through at least a couple a day. Make it a priority to get up every few hours and fill your bottle.
– Always have a glass of water before main meals
Author: Ally Smith (Accredited Practicing Dietitian (APD), Sports Dietitian, Personal Trainer and Online Coach)